Brian L. Stone, Commissioner
Background & Accomplishments:
Commissioner Brian Stone has served as a Del Norte County Harbor Commissioner since 2016. He has led the effort toward a better future for the Harbor District beyond the threat of bankruptcy. Commissioner Stone spearheaded the creation and passage of Measure "C" in 2017, which now provides the Crescent City Harbor with $236,815 in additional annual revenue for the repayment of the 2008 and 2011 Tsunami Disaster Loan to the USDA. Measure "C" is a hotel tax and does not tax the citizens of Del Norte County. Commissioner Stone also worked on the Harbor's Coastal Plan that is awaiting approval from the Coastal Commission. Another pending project is the Harbor Redevelopment Plan. When completed, it will add over $1.4 million in new revenue to improve the Harbor's positive cash flow. Commissioner Stone also led the effort to secure favorable lease agreements with fish processing companies and secured commitment for the construction of a new high-end hotel next to the inner-boat basin.
Additional Government Experience:
Commissioner Stone has over 23 years of government experience working at the state and local level, including:
- Former Land Agent, State Controller's Office (SCO.)
- Former Governmental Analyst to the Property Tax Postponement Program for the SCO.
- Former Governmental Analyst on Property Tax Collection Procedures and wrote the statewide Tax Collectors Reference Manual.
- Former Governmental Analyst for the re-allocation of Property Taxes (AB-8) following the passage of Proposition 13 for the SCO.
- Former Legislative Liaison for the California Seismic Safety Commission (CSSC) to the State Legislature.
- Author of the “Homeowners Guide to Earthquake Safety” for the CSSC.
- Author of the “Business Owners Guide to Earthquake Safety” for the CSSC.
- Testified before the State Legislature on Tax Collection and Seismic Safety issues.
- Provided technical insight to the Legislature on Seismic Safety issues which led to the passage of 141 bills and resolutions following the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake.
- Former small business owner of a trucking company.
- Former Chief Title Officer, Trans America Title Ins. Co.
Volunteer Civic Engagement:
- Volunteer Fire Fighter, Rock Creek Fire Department, Placer County, CA.
- Board Member of the Friends of the Harbor, organizing and operating festivities such as the Harbor's Pirate Festival and Haunted House.
- Member and former Treasurer of the Crescent City B.P.O.E. (Elk's) Lodge #1689.
Associate of Arts, Golden State College, Visalia, CA.
Bachelor of Arts, Economic Geography/Urban Development, California State University Dominguez Hills.